How Holiday Chocolates Became a Cherished Tradition
Do you remember the first time you indulged in holiday chocolates? For many of us, it’s a tradition that dates back to childhood. Enjoying chocolate together during the holidays is a cherished custom in families across the globe. But what is it about chocolate that makes it so special? And why do we delight in it a little more, specifically during the holidays? Here’s a quick look at the history of holiday chocolates and some of the reasons why they’ve become such a popular part of winter celebrations in America.
Gift of the Gods
The history of holiday chocolates can be traced back to the ancient Aztecs and Mayans. These Mesoamerican cultures believed that cocoa beans had divine properties and drank them during religious ceremonies. In some cases, they also used them as medicine and as currency.
The first chocolate treats were likely simple, bitter concoctions of ground cocoa beans and water. But by the 16th century, European explorers had discovered how to make the beverage more palatable by adding sugar, vanilla, and other spices. This “new” chocolate drink quickly became a coveted luxury item and an instant favorite among royalty and the upper class.
Before the 1840s, chocolate was mostly enjoyed as a beverage. J.S. Fry & Sons, a British chocolate firm, made the first edible chocolate bar in 1847 using cocoa butter, chocolate liquor, and sugar. Cadbury’s, credited with inventing the Valentine’s Day chocolate box and the chocolate Easter egg, quickly followed suit and acquired a royal warrant as Queen Victoria’s chocolate purveyor in 1854.
It wasn’t until the late 1800s that chocolate began to gain popularity as a treat in America. This was due in part to the rise of the American candy industry, which mass-produced and marketed chocolates to a wider audience. By the early 1900s, holiday chocolates had become a staple in many American homes, enjoyed by children and adults alike from all walks of life.
Sweet Symbols of Love
So what is it about holiday chocolates that make them so special? For many of us, it’s the delicious flavor and texture. But chocolate also has a unique ability to evoke feelings of happiness, love, and comfort. This makes it the perfect treat to share with loved ones during the holiday season.
Holiday chocolates are often given in place of more traditional presents like flowers or jewelry. This is because they’re seen as a universal gift that can be enjoyed by anyone, regardless of age or gender. They’re also a symbol of love and affection, which makes them ideal for holiday occasions when we want to express our warmest sentiments to those closest to us.
Types of Holiday Chocolates
There are nearly endless possibilities when it comes to holiday chocolates. You can find everything from simple chocolate bars to elaborate truffles and bonbons. Here are some of the most loved types of holiday chocolates:
- Chocolate Barks: Chocolate bark is a type of candy that’s made by combining melted chocolate with nuts, dried fruit, or other ingredients, then spreading it out onto a flat surface to cool and harden. Chocolate bark can be made with milk chocolate, dark chocolate, or white chocolate, just to name a few. It’s a fun holiday treat that’s perfect for gifting or snacking on.
- Truffles: Truffles are a type of chocolate confection that’s made by combining chocolate and cream, then rolling the mixture into balls and coating them in cocoa powder or another type of finely ground chocolate. Chocolate truffles are smooth, creamy, and burst with flavor. They’re often given as gourmet gifts or served at holiday parties.
- Bonbons: Bonbons are small round balls of chocolate that are typically filled with a flavored cream or ganache. They’re often coated in a thin layer of chocolate or decorated with holiday-themed designs. Bonbons are bite-sized candies that are perfect for sharing and come in a variety of flavors.
- Chocolate Bars: Chocolate bars are classic holiday chocolates that come in assorted sizes, shapes, and flavors. You can find chocolate bars made with milk chocolate, dark chocolate, white chocolate, and more. Chocolate bars are versatile and can be enjoyed in a variety of ways, such as in s’mores or as part of a baked holiday dessert. They make great stocking stuffers, holiday party favors, and even gifts for your Secret Santa.
- Gift Boxes: Gift boxes are a great way to sample different types of holiday chocolates or give a loved one a variety of treats to enjoy. From classic milk chocolate bars to elaborate gourmet truffles, there’s a special kind of chocolate for everyone.
Advantages of giving Chocolate as Gifts
There are many benefits to giving holiday chocolates as gifts. Chocolate is a universally loved treat, so it’s sure to please even the pickiest person on your list. It’s also a thoughtful way to show your loved ones how much you care. Here are a few more benefits of giving holiday chocolates as gifts:
- Chocolate is a classic holiday gift that’s always in style.
- Chocolate is affordable and easy to order, making it a great last-minute holiday gift option.
- Chocolate can be enjoyed by people of all ages.
- Chocolates make a great holiday party favor or stocking stuffer.
- Chocolate can be shared, making it a perfect holiday gift for couples or families.
Luxurious and Affordable Holiday Chocolates
You don’t have to spend a fortune to indulge in top-tier holiday chocolates.
Lift Chocolate is a luxury chocolatier that offers a wide range of hand-crafted holiday chocolates, including chocolate barks, truffles, gift boxes, and more. Featured by major media outlets such as Forbes, Food Network, and Country Living, our chocolates are made with high-quality ingredients and come in a variety of delicious flavors to delight every chocolate lover on your list.
What’s more, our holiday chocolates allow people to give the gift of luxury without breaking the bank. Whether you’re looking for holiday stocking stuffers or a special holiday gift for someone close to you, Lift Chocolate has something for everyone.